DEDICATED TO BUILDING AN INCLUSIVE ENGAGED COMMUNITY WHILE STRENGTHENING NEIGHBOURHOODS
Maurice is a proud recipient of the The Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee award and the Queens Diamond Jubilee Award recognizing over 40 years of dedication and work in the Community. As a long term Pickering resident, who has lived in Ward 1 for over 30 years, he knows Durham Region, Pickering and its neighbourhoods. He is dedicated to building inclusive, engaged communities while strengthening local neighbourhoods.
Maurice and Anne, have a blended family, 4 adult children who grew up in Pickering and now have their own lives and careers. As grandparents to 3 beautiful grandchildren, Maurice and Anne recognize the importance of a balanced lifestyle that ensures quality time to still enjoy time with family.
Maurice has represented Ward 1 for 10 Terms. 1985-1991, as the Local/City Ward 1 Councillor, 1991-2006 as Ward 1 Regional Councillor. He returned to Council In 2016 following a By-Election and re-elected in 2018 as Ward 1 City and Regional Councillor Alternate and Elected in 2022 as the Ward 1 Regional Councillor. He is a community builder.
Maurice’s career involves Community Advocacy, and Human Rights. After retiring as a Managing Director for Human Rights, Diversity and Fairness, Maurice is now self-employed as a Senior Human Rights Consultant working to promote and improve Equality and Fairness across Canada.
Experience that translates into action
- 10 Terms Elected Ward 1 Councillor, 1985-1991 City Councillor, 1991-2006 Regional Councillor, 2016- 2022 City Councillor, 2022 -present Durham Regional Councillor
- Acting Mayor 1992, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2005
- Interim Mayor Fall 2003
- Deputy Mayor 2022-present
- Chair and Board Member PARA Marine Search and Rescue May 2022-present
- Vice Chair Pickering Library Board Member 2016-present
- Member Accessibility Advisory Committee
- Member Pickering Waterfront Visionary Advisory Committee
- Former Chair Sustainable Pickering
- Member, Durham Region Health and Social Services Committee
- Chair Durham Region Advisory Committee on Homelessness
- Durham Region Community Safety and Wellbeing Plan Steering Committee
- Durham Region Transit Executive Committee
- Durham Region Roundtable on Climate Change